Showing Up Matters
Did you know?
- Missing 10%, or 2 days a month, over the course of the school year, can affect a student’s academic success.
- 1 in 10 kids in kindergarten and 1st grade is chronically absent.
- By 6th grade, absenteeism is one of three signs that a student may drop out of high school.
- By 9th grade, attendance is a better predictor of graduation rates than 8th grade test scores.
Make school a priority.
- Talk about the importance of showing up to school every day.
- Know the attendance policy. (Attendance and Truancy Legal Requirements)
- Keep track of your student’s attendance to be sure absences aren’t adding up.
- Seek help from school staff, other parents or community agencies if you need support.